Research > Fundraising
Fundraising research, statistics & quotes
Fundraising is dominated by the largest organisations with the largest 10% of charities receiving 94% of all donations and the top 25 alone, almost 20% of the total. In other words, 90% of for-purpose organisations share just 6% of all donations.
- 60.5% of Australians generally give on the spur of the moment, but those who plan their donations give six times more dollars
- 14.9 million Australian adults (80.8% of the population) gave $12.5 billion to charities and not-for-profits organisations in 2015-16. The average donation was $764.08 and the median donation was was $200
- 3/4 of people dislike being asked for donations over the telephone, althoughnearly one quarter still made a donation when approached this way.
- 64% of people dislike being approached from street fundraisers but 19% still gave a donation
- The amount of money that Australians gave to charity is growing but growth is slowing, growing 4.9% in the 12 months to August 2015. This was down from a growth of 7.8 per cent in the previous year
- The average donation size across all charities grew by $9 to $346 per donor
- Growth in charitable giving was strongest for over 65s and weakest for 15-24 year old
NAB Charitable Giving Index - August 2015
Top 5 most important things charities must do according to the giving public:
- Transparency of admin costs
- Reporting specific impacts and results
- Where donations are allocated
- Amount raised from appeals
- Details of executives/ governance
Top emotional enablers to giving:
- Personal stories
- Events and brand experience
- Trust in the organisation
- Credibility and accountability
Top practical enablers to giving:
- Showing measurable results
- Flexibility in donation amount
- Being thanked
- Tech enabled communication
Giving by postcode & occupation
Here's a handy tool from QUT to find out how much the taxpayers in a specific postcode or occupation claimed in their individual income tax returns.
Peer to Peer fundraising
- The average donor gives $50 whereby the average Peer 2 Peer fundraiser raises about $500 per campaign
- Fundraisers collect more money for charities with less effort, plus one in four fundraisers repeat the campaign each year
- Fundraisers are your cause ambassadors and advocates, essentially Peer 2 Peer fundraisers are more engaged than typical donors which is the model of excellent donor engagement!